Follow your passion. It is what keeps you alive; it is what keeps you living.
- Dr. Betty Bastien
This scholarship – memorial fund- is created in honour of Sikapinakii, Dr. Betty Bastien, who transitioned to her cosmological existence from whence she came on May 8th, 2023.
Dr. Betty Bastien wanted everyone to continually strive for education, as well as find peace and balance in their lives. Her name, Sikapinakii, lives on in this scholarship which has been created to foster Indigenous education and elevation of the Nitsitapii (the real people) worldview.
In the spirit of reciprocity of the gift of this scholarship you are asked to share the education, knowledge, and wisdom you have gained in your educational journey with the generations that follow in your footsteps, as you follow in Sikapinakii’s, Dr. Betty Bastien’s, footsteps.
Sikapinaki Scholarship Details
Two thousand ($2,000) dollars will be awarded to one student twice a year at the end of April and December. The scholarship will only be awarded to each recipient one time to allow the scholarship to reach as many deserving scholars as possible.
This scholarship is open to those who match the following criteria:
- Indigenous person with Treaty Status
- Experienced trauma
- Excel in studies
- Participate in traditional lifestyles.
- Willing to share the education, knowledge, and wisdom you have gained in your educational journey with the generations that follow you
- Have not been awarded this scholarship previously
How to Apply:
Write a two hundred fifty (250) word essay in APA format that describes and provides examples and information on the following:
- Your leadership in your community
- A transformational experience you gained from ceremonial participation
- The steps you take to strive for peace and balance in your life
- Your plans for your future.
Send all applications via the form below.
You will be contacted should you be the recipient of the award.